Just want to kick back and relax?
- Lake Michigan beaches are fantastic! Enjoy the swimming and sunbathing
- Watch a stunning panorama of clouds and sunsets over Lake Michigan
- Read a
good novel on the deck
- Enjoy a campfire with hotdogs and marshmallows (all cottages have fire rings)
Looking for art or culture? Okay, it isn't Chicago but . . .
- See the Silver Lake Chamber of Commerce website at www.silverlakesanddunes.com.
- Visit artsy Pentwater (20 miles north), lots of gift shops and restaurants by Lake Michigan, see www.pentwatermichigan.com
- Like wine? Visit a vinyard, try www.jomagrha.com
- Antiques? Try the barn west of Hart on Deer Rd.
- Ceramics? See a stunning array of ceramics at Claybanks Pottery, on Scenic Drive just south of Stony Lake. 231-894-4177
- Museums? Mears has an Historical Museum open on weekends.
your hand at photographing the beautiful wildflowers and sunsets, we
beat Chicago any day here!
Restaurants? Here are some we like:
- The Open Hearth Grill & Bar is northeast of Mears with casual dining. One of our favorites.
- Players is close by the cottages, go north on Scenic Drive by Benona Shores Gulf course about 1/2 mile.
- The Stony Lake Inn and Bar building in Stony Lake has been around since 1925. The perch are good.
- The Brown Bear in Shelby offers a Sports Bar type atmosphere, very popular.
- The Farm Store Deli
on Oceana Drive by the bike trail north of New Era is a great place for
sandwiches, cheese, fresh milk etc. It is a working farm,
Looking to get active?
- Visit the world famous dunes at Silver Lake and take a dune buggy ride at Mac Woods www.macwoodsdunerides.com
your own buggies in Silver Lake.
- Go Hiking on the dunes at Silver Lake. We hike to Lake Michigan (about 3/4 mile over the dunes). Or try a section of the North Country Trail, trailhead west of White Cloud on M 20.
- Like to Golf? Try Benona Shores on Scenic Drive a couple miles north of Stony Lake.
- Bicycling is great on the Hart to Montaque Bike trail, a paved over rai bed.
- Rent a
canoe at Happy Mohawk Canoe Livery.
- Horseback riding is available just a few miles away at Rainbow Ranch off Stony Lake Rd.
Sightseeing and more:
- Tour the lighthouse at Little Point Sable on Lake Michigan south and west of Silver Lake.
- Charter a boat to go fishing in Lake Michigan. We have caught Salmon, Steelhead and Lake Trout. Charters are out of Muskegon and Pentwater.
- Enjoy locally gorwn blueberries, cherries, asparagus, apples and peaches in season from local produce stands.
- Lewis's Market just east of Highway 31 on Stony Lake Road has produce, baked goods and wonderful pies, a kids petting zoo and much more.
- Drive thrugh the beautiful rural countryside of Oceana County. This area was settled in the 1870's but once you get away from the Lake Michigan shore is sparsely populated.
gems, check out Shelby Gemstone Factory in Shelby
- In the
fall, usually the weekend after Labor Day. Silver Lake has its annual Apple and BBQ
Festival in Silver Lake. Later the fall, colors in the area are beautiful.